[gmx-users] xdr_float and Mac OS X

Vincent Lemaitre vincent.lemaitre at bioch.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 27 15:10:02 CET 2003

Hi,

I am trying to compile gromacs 3.1.5-pre1 for Mac OS X
(powerpc-apple-darwin6.8).
The compilation for single processor works fine, but I run in trouble
when compiling with mpi enabled.

Here is the message I get:
checking for srfftw_mpi.h... yes
checking for rpc/rpc.h... yes
checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... no
checking for rpc/xdr.h... yes
checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... (cached) no

Basically I have troubles with XDR. From the mailing list, I understand
that it might involved a library called libnsl.a
I haven't been able to find this library on the mac I am working (on my
Linux workstation I find it under /usr/lib).

Does anybody knows where the guilty library should be located under Mac
or/and how to install it?

Thank you in advance,

Vincent

Note: I run several MD using only one processor and had no trouble
generating xtc files
PS: people that had a similar problem:

****

 > *WARNING - XDR not found. This cripples GROMACS significantly - you
 > cannot  *
 > *read/write portable trajectories. No choice on windows, but locate
 > the RPC *
 > *header files and libraries if you run UNIX - they do
 > exist!                *

****It
 > says:checking for rpc/rpc.h... yes
 > checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... yes
 > checking for rpc/xdr.h... yes
 > checking for xdr_float in -lnsl... (cached) yeswhen compile the
 > sequential versionThanks

It's quite simple - your mpi-enabled compiler command cannot find the
library file libnsl.a, which probably means it is not setup correctly
since the file is obviously present on your system. Either ask your
sysadm to fix it, or locate the file yourself and explicitly add that
location as a library search path by putting it in LDFLAGS.

Cheers,

Erik

_____________________________

Vincent Lemaitre