[gmx-users] force field coding

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 20 06:40:01 CEST 2003

Hi Corina,

There are a couple of steps:

1. Find out exactly what the interaction forms are for bonds, angles,
proper dihedrals (sometimes called torsions), and improper or
out-of-plane torsions/dihedrals. If we can represent these, we're set,
but in some cases we have to take a factor 2 into account. If not, it
depends on the type of interaction you need. For instance: using a new
type for bonded interactions isn't too difficult (see e.g. how we use
both standard and Gromos96 bonds), but having nonbonded interactions
between triplets of atoms would be very difficult to do...

2. Check how the force fields use atom types. Does each atom type
correspond to unique bonded and nonbonded parameters (like Gromos96 &
Amber), or is it like OPLS, where there are more nonbonded than bonded
types?

3. Implement the atom types in ffXXX.atp (easy), and add the nonbonded
parameters to ffXXXnb.itp. Most forcefields use combination rules and a
small number of atom types, but Gromacs can handle different parameters
for every single pair of atoms. You will need to check whether your
force field uses  c6/c12 or sigma/epsilon parameters. Some
implementations don't specify sigma, but the minimum radius - that's
easy to convert, though.

4. Implement the parameters for bonds, angles and dihedrals in
ffXXXbon.itp. This can be complicated if your forcefield has thousands
of atom types like OPLS, but in most cases it's easy.

5. At this point you have a finished force field. To build topologies
automatically you also want to implement the building blocks in
ffXXX.rtp, but don't write it from scratch - just pick one of the
existing force fields and edit that.