[gmx-users] free energy perturbation

Yuhua Song yhsong at ccb.wustl.edu
Wed Oct 22 18:20:02 CEST 2003

Hi,

I am doing some FEP work with Gromacs. According to one reply in the
gromacs mailing list as attached below, I do the corresponding work, but
the results seem not right. Here is the procedure that I did my work,
could you please give a look to see what might be wrong?

1) First I run 2ns production for a NA binding to a protein. I get the
trajectory file: 1.trj

2) to study the free energy perturbation, we replace the binding NA with
LI. the modified part of the topology file is as following ( I use oplsa
force field, opls_406 is LI atom):

  4724   opls_272    295    GLU     O2   1496       -0.8    15.9994   ;
qtot 5
  4725   opls_407    296     NA     NA   1497          1    22.9898
opls_406     1      6.9410

3) from the new topology file perturbation by LI, and the *.gro from
production run, I get the new *.tpr file

3) Then I do the mdrun -rerun, first rerun the *.tpr from original tpr
with NA binding, then do the rerun with the *.tpr with LI perturbation,
so I get two *.edr file

4) then I do g_energy -f 1.edr -f2 2.edr -fee ....
The results show that difference of energy is only 0.53

5) Because I am not sure the results is right, then I repeat the above
procedure, but this time I do the free energy perturbation of K to
replace of NA instead of LI, but the result that I get is totally same
as the case of LI, So, I feel that something might be wrong here.

Could you please to take a look to see what might be wrong about the
procedure that I had done?

Thank you.

Yuhua

[gmx-users] g_energy -fee -f2