[gmx-users] Parallel FFTW performance

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Mon Oct 27 00:23:01 CET 2003

Hi,

The problem is that the fourier transform is very fast, so when it is
parallelized over a lot of nodes with MPI the communication will kill
you.

We're working on this - the solution will simply be to skip FFTW
parallelization completely. We will use both threads and MPI in
Gromacs, and do all synchronization ourselves. The additional obstacle
is that you don't want to use all nodes in your system for the PME
part. This is trivial to work around with 3-4 nodes, but with 16+ nodes
and domain decomposition it's a pretty complicated problem.

Cheers,

Erik