[gmx-users] parallel problem

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Sep 3 23:17:01 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 01:52, Osmany Guirola Cruz wrote:
> No i have dual PIII 933MHz   coupled by tcp/ip
>
> It is 100 Mbit
>
> My cluster  have a switch  i have 32 dual in a sub-net and only one
> machine is in my network (PBS)
>
> I do a simulation whit 9500  molecules of water (SOL) 129 proteins
> residue
>
> No i dont do the gromacs benchmarks , HOW COULD I DO IT?
Download them from gromacs.org...
I have done the test with a switched 100 Mbit/s network with dual 800
MHz P3s, up until 10 nodes (i.e. 20 cpus).

>  i forget something , my simulations whith cutoff are shorter than PME

To efficiently use the dual processors you have to select another lam
option (rcp=usysv or rcp=sysv).

Now the real problem performancewise is PME. In the current 3.1.4
version PME does not behave well at all in parallel. On a Scali network
I use at most 4 dual Xeon nodes  for my runs which have 30000 waters.
Since your system is smaller, performance will be even worse. Note that
the gromacs scaling benchmark is done with a (twin-range) cut-off rather
than PME. If you can live with a cut-off (and after all, the GROMOS96
force field was developed for use with a cut-off) you could maybe scale
to somewhat more processors:
nstlist  = 5
rlist    = 0.9
rcoulomb = 1.4
rvdw     = 1.4

See how far you can go with that. Furthermore you want to control how
PBS/LAM allocates your processors. The communication is on a ring
topology in principle, so if you have two dual processor nodes
N0-p0, N0-p1, N1-p0, N1-p1
you want the jobs to be allocated in this order (to use the shared
memory communication) rather than
N0-p0, N1-p0, N0-p1, N1-p1

In the first example two of the four communications use shared memory,
in the other example none of them do.

--
Groeten, David.
Dr. David van der Spoel, 	Dept. of Cell and Molecular Biology