[gmx-users] Tabscale

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Sep 20 10:26:01 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 14:33, Yuguang Mu wrote:
> Dear David,
> Generally speaking, you are right.
> But in my case, not !
> I use -rerun switch, it is exactly the same trajectory.
>
> I check the different energy terms, only the Coulomb (LR) (using PME)
> term differs evidently by 0.5% , but systematicly , the single precision
> values always larger (or smaller )  than double one by around 0.3-0.5% .
> Here I show two figtures about this terms coming from two differnt
> systems.
>
> You can see clearly that
> they comes from the same trajectory, but differ a certain amount.
>
> So it seems that the PME term differs a factor of 0.3-0.5% .
>
> can we improve it ?
> At least this Coulomb (LR) should be as good as other terms
> having a difference factor of 0.0003-0.0005% which the single precision
> promises.

Could you maybe rerun your test in single precision after recompiling
with tabscale = 2000 (line 581 in tables.c)

It could be that the difference lies in the Ewald corrections for
exclusions.

> Dr. Yuguang Mu
> Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
> J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
> Marie Curie Str. 11
> 60439 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
> Tel: +49-(0)69-798-29711
>
> On 17 Sep 2003, David wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2003-09-17 at 12:37, Yuguang Mu wrote:
> > > Dear Erik,
> > > The question I really want to ask is that why the virial calculated from
> > > the same trajectory but using different precisions are quite different.
> > >
> > > I have a trajectory simulated in single precision, then I use -rerun
> > > switch to recalculate energies in double precision.
> > >
> > > The potentials, kinetics, terms turn out nearly exactly same, but I found
> > > the virial, also, the pressure, specially the off-diagonal terms, deviate
> > > greatly.
> > >
> > > In other words, if we eqilibrate the system in single precision with
> > > pressure coupling (orthogonal box but with anisotropy coupling), the
> > > final shape of the box will be greatly different from that simulated with
> > > double precision using the same protocol.
> > >
> > > I donot think it tolerant.
> > >
> > > Is it possible that in the formula of virial calculations there happens
> > > somehow overflow inthe case of single precision ?
> >
> > I don't think so. It is just lack of precision which leads to another
> > trajectory. If you have anisotropic scaling you must increase tau_p to
> > at least 5 ps. Even then two different trajectories may give you
> > different final box size. Try e.g. to run two double precision runs with
> > different starting velocities and see how the box evolves.
> >

> > > Dr. Yuguang Mu
> > > Institute for Physical and Theoretical Chemistry
> > > J.W. Goethe University Frankfurt am Main
> > > Marie Curie Str. 11
> > > 60439 Frankfurt/Main, Germany
> > > Tel: +49-(0)69-798-29711

> > > Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the
> > > www interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.
> > --
> > Groeten, David.

Groeten, David.
Dr. David van der Spoel, 	Dept. of Cell and Molecular Biology
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se	spoel at gromacs.org   http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~spoel