[gmx-users] g_rama/xrama problem in version 3.1.4.

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed Sep 24 22:41:02 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 22:32, istvan at kolossvary.hu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I ran a 1ns md on ACE-ALA-NAC (sometimes called alanine dipeptide) and
> wanted to look at the Ramachandran plot. Both g_rama and xrama abort after
> finding the correct number of a single phi-psi pair. A fatal error message
> comes from nrama.c that reads something like "Dihedral about 6,8 cannot be
> found in topology". "6" is a C=O oxygen of ACE and "8" is a NH hydrogen of
> ALA, there shouldn't be any dihedral between them, should it. I guess the
> topology should be fine since I can run a whole simulation with it. I wonder
> if this has something to do with the same problem that I posted yesterday
> (atomtype mismatch in the .rtp and .hdb files for NAC). Can you give me a
> hint. I am kind of discouraged since I am doing very simple things.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Istvan
>
> P.S. Erik had this idea:
>
> Hi,
>
> Ah, I'm almost positive it's just a problem in the analysis code.
>
> I didn't write the core of g_rama myself, so you might want to post it to
> the mailing list where Berk & David read things too.

I suspect it's a force field problem, that is you used OPLS, whereas I'm
afraid to admit that part of this code expects the topology to have
gromos-like dihedrals. If this is the case you coud remake a topology
using the ffgmx2 force field and use that for this analysis only.

> ACE-ALA-NAC isn't a dipeptive, but a capped single amino acid. g_rama
> detects phi/psi dihedrals automatically, and the original gromacs/gromos87
> forcefields didn't use caps a lot, so my guess would be that the automatic
> code to find the phi/psi dihedrals based on atom names fails.
>
> Try it with a normal terminated (NH3+ and COO-) ALA-ALA and see if that
> works. If it does, it is just the detection code in g_rama that needs to be
> updated; you might even want to have a look, it's a fairly small program.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Erik
>
> > gmx-users mailing list
> > gmx-users at gromacs.org

David.
David van der Spoel, PhD, Assist. Prof., Molecular Biophysics group,
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se	spoel at gromacs.org   http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~spoel