[gmx-users] Installing GROMACS on Windows

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Tue Apr 27 22:18:01 CEST 2004

Hi,

> I suppose that for code with assembly loops enabled compilers will
> affect less the performance of code - am I right?

Yes. The compiler isn't even involed in the innerloops anymore, just
the assembler program (which just translates each statement to object
code), so 90% of the time should be spent in machine code that is
independent of the compiler.

The MS assembler (MASM) doesn't understand SSE, but download the free
NASM program and create output in win32 format. The assembly loops are
written to work equally well with both GNU as and NASM.

Cheers,

Erik