[gmx-users] SA

Nuno R. L. Ferreira nunolf at ci.uc.pt
Wed Apr 28 16:32:00 CEST 2004

Hi Osmany

I think that the use or not of restraints it depends of what you want.
For instance, if you have build an helical model of a peptide and do not
know the 3D structure of it, then a SA could be used to randomize the a.a.
lateral chains, while restraining the backbone.

If you know the structure, I think you should at least verify if the final
structure is too far from the initial one.
SA is a fine technique for reaching a minimum structure. In my NMR days, I
played awhile with it, but in this case I have restraints that lead to a
ensemble of "final" structures.  If you do not pose any restraints to the
protein, and if the highest temperature is too high, as usually is, then
maybe SA will destroy your "native" structure.

Regards,
Nuno