[gmx-users] Re: Gromacs and Condor

Martina Bertsch, PhD mbe404 at lulu.it.northwestern.edu
Fri Apr 30 23:17:01 CEST 2004

Dear Amadeu,

In order to setup environment for condor, you need to create two files: a submission description file and a shell script (sets up environment for your job, e.g., gmx). See the example below for details.

   Commands to use:
   Submit job: "condor_submit your_submission_description_file_name".
   Check job status: "condor_q" or "condor_status"
   Remove job: "condor_rm your_job_id " (you can get your job id from "condor_q" command.

   A few notes:
    1. Make sure shell script is executable (e.g. chmod u+x mdrun-script.tcsh).
    2. Always login on the primary node and submit your job. You don't need to login to internal nodes any more. Condor will find an empty CPU for you automatically.
    3. The maximum number of jobs that can run concurrently is usually equal to the number of total CPUs in the cluster. If more jobs are submitted, they will stay in the queue and wait until the other jobs finish.
    4. The policy is first come, first served.
    5. In the submission description file, all you need to modify are the first three lines. They are your shell script file name, error log and regular log.
    6. It is better to first test and debug your shell script as you normally do. Then submit the job using condor. Otherwise, you might spend more troubleshooting time under the context of condor.
    7. For more information visit http://www.cs.wisc.edu/condor/

The following example is for user martina with home directory
/home5/martina.

EXAMPLE:

Submission description file name for gromacs: mdrun.submit

executable=mdrun-script.tcsh
error=mdrun.err
log=mdrun.log
getenv=True
universe=vanilla
notification=never
queue

Shell script file name: mdrun-script.tcsh

#!/bin/tcsh
prepare gromacs-3.1.4
cd /home5/martina/testjob-condor/mdrun
mdrun -nice 0 -v -s eq.tpr -f eq.trr -c MT1_mlt_posteq.gro -e eq.edr -g eq.log

Command to submit this job: condor_submit mdrun.submit

Regards,
Martina Bertsch, Ph.D.