[gmx-users] g_energy averages don't match xmgrace values

Andre Farias de Moura andre at qt.dq.ufscar.br
Mon Aug 2 19:03:37 CEST 2004

dear berk,

I have just done what you suggested me, I have calculated
surface pressure over each individual edr file as well as
over the concatenated one. the results are summarized below:

(1) using g_energy (average and rmsd):

out01.edr: -578.658    4280.23
out02.edr:  206.244    4163.27
out03.edr:  201.476    4253.36
out04.edr: -145.052    4249.69
out05.edr:  194.143     4129.2

the average over these five subaverages is -24.369, which
is quite larger compared to the concatenated file result,
-8.12021 bar nm

(2) using grace (mean and stdev):

out01.edr: -559.569  4413.42
out02.edr:  116.704  4135.83
out03.edr:  201.288  4291.91
out04.edr: -104.37   4238.16
out05.edr:  230.695  3959.47

the average over these five subaverages is -23.050, in good
agreement with the concatenated file result, -22.825 bar nm.
if I use a simple fortran program to compute these averages
I get the same figures as obtained using grace.

it seems that something wrong happens to the averages when
energy files are concatenated, don't you think so?

I hope it helps to find out what is going on,

best regards,

andre'

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

    Dr. Andre' Farias de Moura