[gmx-users] Career prospects

Anton Feenstra feenstra at chem.vu.nl
Mon Aug 2 18:37:48 CEST 2004

Vivek Raut wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This mail is a bit out of context of this mailing list, however I believe
> this is a right medium for it.
>
> What are the career prospects for someone who has been involved with
> GROMACS for 2 years or so?.
>
> I am a masters student and am about to graduate soon. I worked with
> GROMACS for about 2 years now for my graduate research and am well versed
> with its theory. I am now looking for jobs related to molecular modeling
> and would be happy to be associated with GROMACS in future also.

You'd be a proficient molecular modeler in most common definitions, as well
as an expert in whatever type of systems you have been simulating. Possibly,
you'd be accounted a fair system administrator, too.

> Is anyone aware of companies (in USA or Europe) that use GROMACS as a
> computational chemistry tool?.

AFAIK, most wont since they prefer using commercial software for the simple
reason of liability - they paid someone, so they can blame them too ;-)

--
Groetjes,

Anton
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down"           |
|             | (Red Hot Chili Peppers)                               |