[gmx-users] XPixMap - xy (axis) values order

Nuno R. L. Ferreira nunolf at ci.uc.pt
Mon Aug 9 13:47:59 CEST 2004

Hi all

Just to be sure about it.

Although the xpm file produced by dssp has already a converter to an image
(xpm2ps), I found that sometimes is a bit difficult to get a nice picture to
publish it.

When performing the analysis of the md runs, I usually do it in ORIGIN soft
pack. I'm trying to convert the xpm to a xy file in order to work easily
with the information from dssp, making matrices form the xy file.  And it
becomes really easy to put the ticks an labels in the produced graph.  I was
successful, but has I already said, I've got a doubt in the convertion
process.

In the xpm file, among other fields, we have the x-axis field ( wich in my
case represents time, say from 0 to 10), and a y-axis (which represents the
a.a. number of the residues of a protein, say from 1 to 5).

e.g. :
 [...snip...]
/* x-axis:  0  1  2  3  .......... 10
/*y-axis:   1  2  3  4 ........... 10
[...snip...]

Does this corresponds to the following matrix of values?

    0  1  2  3 .... 10
1
2
3
4
5

Or,

   0  1  2  3 ... 10
5
4
3
2
1

Best regards,
Nuno

Nuno Ricardo Santos Loureiro da Silva Ferreira
Departamento de Química
Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia
Universidade de Coimbra
3004-535 Coimbra - Portugal