[gmx-users] free energy and soft core

Frauke Meyer fmeyer at iris3.simm.ac.cn
Tue Aug 10 04:50:10 CEST 2004

Dear Berk,

thanks for your answer.
No matter what the structure is and if there are bad contacts, the
settings
free_energy              = yes
init_lambda              = 0
delta_lambda             = 0

should result in an MD that does *not* depend on the soft-core
potential, right? The reason is that the full potential is just the
potential of topology A, since  V = (1-lambda)*V_A + lambda*V_B. And
V_A is equal to the hard-core potential for lambda=0.

I find a stable MD for
sc-alpha                 = 0
whereas mdrun crashes after 200 steps with LINCS warnings for
sc-alpha                 = 1.5

dG/dl is different for both, which is alright.
                alpha=0        alpha=1.5
                @TYPE xy        @TYPE xy
                0 173.378       0 173.378
                0.002 170.874   0.002 -7.056
                0.004 168.351   0.004 -7.9578
                0.006 166.028   0.006 -8.24761

But should not the potential energy itself be identical for lambda=0?
What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Frauke

PS: grompp gives:
> WARNING 2 [file fep.mdp, line unknown]:
>   You are using lattice sum electrostatics with free energy
>   integration.
>   This might give wrong results, since the lattice contribution to the
>   free energy not calculated.

Should I better not use PME with FEP then?

Frauke