[gmx-users] constraint/restrain distance

Ángel Piñeiro Guillén anxomx at yahoo.es
Thu Aug 26 21:36:50 CEST 2004

Thanks for your answer Berk,

I have tried quite different distances (even distances at which the
molecules are too far to interact) and the simulations still crash. It seems
that the probability of crashing does not depend on the distance. Moreover
the average force for the longer distances before crashing is cero. The
constraint algorithm seems to be working well (for a while which in some
cases takes several nanoseconds) and the forces are reasonable for each
distance... or at least the dependence of the forces on the distance is
reasonable. I understand that to constraint the distance between the center
of mass of two molecules lincs has to "move" one of the molecules a certain
distance after each timestep keeping its structure (probably it has to do
the same with some water molecules). Is there any particular case in which
lincs can fail?

In regard to the AFM and umbrella pulling I understand that they have been
implemented with different purpose but by using them with the right
parameters they should provide the same force (I guess)

Angel Pineiro.