[gmx-users] the protein drifts when molecular dynanic simulation

Abil Aliev abil4616 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Dec 2 13:35:12 CET 2004

true, protein diffuses, but in solution. in the solid
or semi-sloid state translational motion of protein
can be safely ignored. so its not so unphysical as it
might seem first. what i am worried about is how good
gromacs and its force fields (i am using 53a6) are for
simulations of protein+water in the solid state.

the model itself is similar to that in water solution:
i surround 1 protein (+ its x-ray water) with many
other proteins, add more water to fill the gaps, then
positionally restrain the surrounding proteins and let
the central one evolve. this incidentally solves the
problem of protein drifting out of the box, but
creates another problem of disk space. cpuwise i didnt
notice much slow down compared to 1  protein in water.

http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2004-November/012902.html