[gmx-users] compiler for windows gromacs

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Mon Feb 2 14:36:01 CET 2004

Hi,

> Can somebody recommend a good compiler for gromacs under windows ?

If you are running natively you almost certainly want to use Microsoft
Visual C, it's essentially the standard. There are project files for
MSVC somewhere on the ftp.gromacs.org site, but they are still for
version 3.1.x.

Under cygwin you also have gcc - the main advantage with that is that
you can just use the standard ./configure ; make ; make install
commands.

> Are the inner loop assembler routines working also on windows or
> only with Linux ?

They work under windows. The microsoft assembler doesn't understand SSE
instructions (haven't tried the .NET version, though), so you will have
to download and install the free NASM assembler.

> Is there a windows binary of gmx-3.2 available anywhere ?

No. There might be once it stabilizes (3.2.2 or so) - another problem
is that I'll need to find a windows machine with installed compilers
since I don't plan on buying visual studio for my Mac :-)

Cheers,

Erik