[gmx-users] occupancy

Daan van Aalten vdava at davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 10:14:01 CET 2004

Hi Yuhua

To decide which complex to use, take the following into consideration:

1) look at the B-factor column in the PDB file. Guesstimate the average
   B-factor of the protein and compare that to the average B-factor of
   the ligand. If <B>protein is 20 and <B>ligand is 60 it means there
   will have been quite a bit of uncertainty in placing the ligand in the
   electron density.

2) look at the resolution of the diffraction experiment. Was one of the
   complexes refined to much higher resolution (e.g. 1.5 Angstrom) than
   the other (e.g. 2.9 Angstrom)?

3) the atoms that have zero occupancy - where are they? Buried deep in the
   active site, or completely solvent exposed? If the latter I would not
   worry too much about the atoms with 0 occupancy as they are not
   interacting significantly with the protein anyway.

Final word of advice - do NOT throw away crystallographic water molecules
before you run genbox (as I think most people on this list do!) and look
carefully at the geometry of the small molecule - are there strange bond
lengths/angles/impropers? If so, don;t use it as start for building a
topology.

cheers

Daan