[gmx-users] SMP vs Infiniband

Tranchemontagne, Denis dtranche at mc.com
Thu Feb 26 20:11:01 CET 2004

Hello

I just got done running the gmxbench mark on a small cluster and am
noticing some odd results. I am currently only running d.villin

I am using a version of mpich provided by our infiniband supplier, not
sure how it was built. fftw is 2.1.5 with --enable-mpi and
--enable-float options.
gromacs 3.2 compiled with --enable-mpi and --program-suffix=_mpi.

The systems are dual 2.4 GHz Xeons running rh 7.3 linux with
2.4.18-27.7.xsmp as the kernel.

When I run on as 2 processes on the smp machine I see a about 75%
improvement, however if I run as 2 processes each on a different machine
over infiniband I see 85% improvement.

This seems counter intuitive.
My typical run is grompp -np 2 -v ; mpirun -np -hostfile host mdrun_mpi
-v

I also tried mdrun_mpi -v -shuffle.

Denis