[gmx-users] 'Gromacs Symposium' ?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Wed Jan 14 14:38:00 CET 2004

On Jan 13, 2004, at 7:34 PM, Anton Feenstra wrote:

> >>PS. Are there any plans to setup a GROMACS users symposium,say in
> Gronigen,
> >>where it all started! There are quite a few users now and will def.
> help the
> >>exchange of ideas etc.

It has been discussed before, and in principle I think everybody's for
it, it just needs to be organized :-)

I've been in the US for the last two years, so it's been kind of hard
for me and David to co-organize something, but I'll be in Paris for the
next eight months, so if there's interest we might want to try and put
something together.

Groningen is a nice place, but it might be cheaper to have it e.g. in
Southern Italy or Greece, or at least some place where there are cheap
charter flights. (I know that at least in Sweden it tends to be pretty
expensive to organize things in the University towns...)

Just because we've discussed it before without any result I would
strongly suggest we go for a relatively informal "workshop" where
everybody pay their own travel and accommodation, and we just bring an
LCD projector to a medium-sized room. If that works we can turn it into
more of a conference in the future.

To get an idea about interest & expectations, it would be great if
people replied to this thread with some thoughts on:

1. Would you want to come?
2. What do you think it should be focused on? (E.g.: tutorial stuff,
algorithm development, presentation/discussion of simulation research
results)
3. Would it be better to have it in summer or during the university
terms?

Cheers,

Erik