[gmx-users] Re: latest benchmarks (Itanium/Xeon/Opteron)

Michel Cuendet michel.cuendet at epfl.ch
Mon Jan 19 18:37:00 CET 2004

Hi,

>>> This shouldn't be... What system is that? Is it reproducible, i.e. the
>>> same tpr gives different results in single and double?

My system is a big protein complex, which I'm trying to pull apart to
measure an affinity. Gromos force field, PME, Nose-Hoover. (Explosions
in single precisions also occur when no pulling is done).
  Yes it is reproductible, because I ran 64 Jarzynski trajectories in
parallel, which all crashed after a few Ksteps. Running the same 64
trajectories in double precision has been stable for 3 weeks. Also,
copying the same .tpr to an alpha machine or an athlon produced behaved
results in single precision

>I think I've disabled software sqrt by default on ia64, so that
>explains the lack of effect.

In fact, I tried --enable-software-sqrt also, which has no effect either.

>To help isolate the problem, check if it occurs:
>
>(A) when you use gcc

It doesn't work. Compiles fine, but crashes at runtime because of a PME
problem.

>(B) when you use a lower level of optimization (e.g. -O1)

I'm gonna try this out. Tomorrow I will meet an HP guy who was
incredibly enthousiastic about trying to optimize gromacs on his
itaniums. Let's see what comes out of that ;-)

>Using the Intel Fortran compiler might give you slightly better
>performance, otherwise you'll have to wait a *little* while longer for
>the assembly loops.

Option --enable-fortran does not compile. Problem with linking.
Oh, please post these assembly loops as soon as they are ready, can't
wait !!!

Thanks,

Michel