[gmx-users] Do I need to add hydrogens?

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Jan 23 07:47:01 CET 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 02:53, Madhuri Agashe wrote:
> I had further questions:
>
> 1. why should we not use ffgmx2 forcefield?
it is exactly the same as ffgmx, with hydrogens as place holders for NMR
restraints

> 2.how is OPLS better than ffgmx2?

THis is under debate, but for organic liquids it is probably more well
tuned than gromos

> 3.How should one go about using OPLS given the fact that gromacs first looks
> for the .rtp and .atp files in usr/local/share/gromacs/top?

opls files are also there. just include "ffoplsaa.itp" and use the
appropriate opls atom types

> 4.In octanol.itp that you had attached to the previous reply, Carbons are
> defined with no hydrogens wheras oxygen has a hydrogen defined too. Why is
> this so? Does this mean that hydrogens attached to carbons need not be
> defined?

correct, united atoms, see manual

> 5. The gromacs library has decane.itp. This molecule has ONLY carbons
> defined and no hydrogens. Does this mean that while defining alkane/alkene
> chains, we do not need to define hydrogens?

see above

> 6. When a Carbon is defined as a C2 carbon, does it assume 2 implicit
> hydrogens? Is this Carbon so parameterized so as to include the effect of
> these implicit hydrogens?

In ffgmx2 and opls you will have to add hydrogens using the .hdb file
mechanism (chapter 5 in th e manual)

> We look forward to these answers. They are very crucial for our research!!
>
> Thanks!!
> -Madhuri,Vivek

David.
David van der Spoel, PhD, Assist. Prof., Molecular Biophysics group,
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se	spoel at gromacs.org   http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~spoel