[gmx-users] cis-trans isomerization

Martina Bertsch, PhD mbe404 at lulu.it.northwestern.edu
Fri Jan 30 02:14:00 CET 2004

Greetings.

Activation of bovine rhodopsin in the POPC bilayer has been simulated by
allowing the cis-trans isomerization in the ligand retinal [Saam et al.,
Biophys. J. (2002) 83: 3097-3112]:

"...Retinal was isomerized around the C11=C12 double bond by transiently
switching the dihedral potential energy function of this bond from the
ground state form to the "isomerization" one, which resulted in an
11-trans retinal in ~150 fs. After isomerization, the dihedral potential
was switched back to its ground state form, and a 10-ns simulation was
carried out... The dihedral potentials in the chromophore chain are
cosine functions having minima at 0° and 180°. Due to the strong
electronic delocalization effect in retinal, particularly in the
protonated form the barrier against the rotation of individual bonds
along the chain differs from the barriers expected for pure single and
double bonds... In the ground state, the applied potential function
separates these two isomers by a barrier of 35 kcal/mol. To induce the
isomerization, we transiently (for 200 fs) switched the C11=C12 dihedral
potential to one with a single minimum at 180°. In the 11-cis
conformation (0°) the new potential has a maximum that is ~42 kcal/mol
higher than the corresponding minimum in the ground state potential.
Thus, by switching to the "isomerization" potential we instantly add
this amount of energy to the system. The potential shape is described in
Hayashi et al. (2002). From the seven cosine Fourier components therein
we used only the three largest ones, which are sufficient to reproduce
the general features of the potential energy curve, such as the plateau
region observed in ab initio molecular orbital calculations. This
description maps the transition from an excited-state potential through
a conical intersection back to the ground state onto a one-dimensional
potential energy, with the dihedral angle as the only variable..."

How do I program the transient switching of the dihedral potential
energy function for a double bond in a receptor-bound ligand in Gromacs?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Martina