[gmx-users] Who uses Gromacs on Power4 ?

Campbell Millar c.millar at elec.gla.ac.uk
Tue Jun 8 12:44:27 CEST 2004

Hi Folks,

I haven't tried GROMACS on power 4 as yet but I have had similar
problems with the IBM xlc compilers in the past. Have you tried the
-qstrict option ? Some of the more aggressive optimisation have been
known to completely destroy the floating  point accuracy on the power3
at least. I would try building with -O2 and see if that makes a
difference.

The only other thing I can think of is that I once had a similar
problem because an old version of libc was hanging around and realloc
got broken.

Hope this is of some small help,

Campbell

On 4 Jun 2004, at 23:57, Marc Baaden wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> thanks for all your answers and suggestions.
>
> I have recompiled with the suggested options, but with continuing
> (although
> for now different) error.
>
> I wanted to choose an extremely simple test system, and I used the
> water
> example from the tutorial, trying to run on just a single processor.\
> The error is different, but again occurs before
> or at the very first time step:
>
> [..]
> starting mdrun 'Pure Water'
> 10000 steps,     20.0 ps.
>
> step 0
> Warning: Only triclinic boxes with the first vector parallel to the
> x-axis and the second vector in the xy-plane are supported.
>          Box (3x3):
>             Box[    0]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>             Box[    1]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>             Box[    2]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>          Can not fix pbc.
> Warning: Only triclinic boxes with the first vector parallel to the
> x-axis and the second vector in the xy-plane are supported.
>          Box (3x3):
>             Box[    0]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>             Box[    1]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>             Box[    2]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>          Can not fix pbc.
> Warning: Only triclinic boxes with the first vector parallel to the
> x-axis and the second vector in the xy-plane are supported.
>          Box (3x3):
>             Box[    0]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>             Box[    1]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>             Box[    2]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>          Can not fix pbc.
> Warning: Only triclinic boxes with the first vector parallel to the
> x-axis and the second vector in the xy-plane are supported.
>          Box (3x3):
>             Box[    0]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>             Box[    1]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>             Box[    2]={        NaNQ,         NaNQ,         NaNQ}
>          Can not fix pbc.
>

> So I think the tpr file is read incorrectly (the very same file runs
> absolutely
> fine with eg mdrun from gmx321 under linux).
>
> Could this have something todo with 32 vs 64 bit ? (eg
> mis-interpreting/reading
> of the tpr data)
>
> I have tried both a tpr generated on a linux box and a tpr generated
> on the
> power4 .. same error.
>
> Cheers,
>   Marc
>

> --
>  Dr. Marc Baaden  - Institut de Biologie Physico-Chimique, Paris
>  mailto:baaden at smplinux.de      -      http://www.marc-baaden.de
>  FAX: +49 697912 39550  -  Tel: +33 15841 5176 ou +33 609 843217

Dr Campbell Millar,
University of Glasgow,
Device Modelling Group,
Oakfield Avenue,
Glasgow G12 8LT
tel: +44 141 330 4792  fax: +44 141 330 4907

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy', till you can find a rock"
Larry Niven.