[gmx-users] question about Polak Ribiere conjugate gradient

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Mon May 3 15:06:02 CEST 2004

Hi,

1e-6 kJ/mol is a very tough energy tolerance for a big system :-)

In general, if you apprioximate the energy surface close to the minimum
with harmonic potentials, you cannot do better than sqrt(machine
precision) in both the coordinate and value.

Considering a protein consists of thousands of degrees of freedom
you'll have some rounding errors too, so I would be very surprised if
you could get to 1e-6.

And, remember, all you can hope for is a *local* minimum. With that in
mind there is rarely any reason to go lower than 0.1 kJ/mol...

Cheers,

Erik