[gmx-users] water density

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Tue May 11 19:30:58 CEST 2004

Hi,

First, when the box volume decreases the density will increase and vice
versa - there's a strict inverse proportionality between them :-)

 From your description it sounds as if you turned on pressure scaling
for a system that wasn't equilibrated. In that case, the temporary high
forces this might lead to a rapid volume expansion.

If you try to simulate water in a box that is too large you'll get
clusters. Compare with a glass of water in a space shuttle - the water
won't expand to fill the entire shuttle at low density, but will form a
sphere in vacuum.

Cheers,

Erik