[gmx-users] AFM pulling: how to determine the spring constant?

Mario Orsi kurtz219 at yahoo.it
Thu May 13 08:51:01 CEST 2004

Hi guys,

i'm stretchin' a protein with gmx; i'm not sure about
the value of the spring constant... how to set it
right?
I've read a couple of papers where they describe SMD
pulling, and they chose the spring constant from this
formula:

k=10*Kb*T/(dx)^2

what is this equation about? where can I find sth that
explains the theory behind (the formula above) a
correct setting of k?
thanks a lot
mario orsi

Burns: "Simpson, I want to be loved."
Homer: "Well ... I'm gonna need some beer ..."