[gmx-users] PME, netcharge, implementation, counterions

Y U Sasidhar sasidhar at chem.iitb.ac.in
Fri May 14 12:02:11 CEST 2004

1. PME and net charge

"Molecular dynamics simulations of biomolecules: Long-Range
electrostatic effects"
Sagui C, Darden TA
Annu. Rev. Biophys. Biomol. Struct. 1999,28:155-79

Based upon the articles like the above ones, I understand
that to solve poisson equation for a periodic potential the
unit cell ( which is repeated ) must be neutral. Therefore
if any net charge is present a neutralising uniform charge
density is to be added to avoid infinite electrostatic
potential. This is supposed to fix "zeroth order" term
without disturbing higher order terms.

In a simulation of our peptide  with **net charge** in spc
water using gromos96 ff and PME, I find that  the TOTAL
coulomb energy ( of peptide + water full system )is always
**negative**, though coul14 energy is positive. Coul14
contribution is small ( .1 % ). This kind of result is
obtained on other systems with net charge also. So I take it
that Gromacs PME implementation takes care of "net charge".
Is this correct ? What reference can I cite to this effect ?

2. Counterions:

"If neutralsing cunter ions are added the equilibration
times tend to be longer."
I have come across this kind of observation in a couple of
papers but the statement was not referenced. Can you pl
point me to a reference ?

--
  Sasidhar