[gmx-users] Shake block error:

Ben Roberts Ben.P.Roberts at vcp.monash.edu.au
Mon May 17 07:33:10 CEST 2004

Hello all,

I'm trying to run a simulation and short dynamics run to get a
relatively equilibrated structure for a molecule.

The simulation is unusual because it is a highly branched molecule, and
I have modified the .itp file to repel the ends of the branches both
from the centre and from each other (in order to generate a completely
extended structure). This was done via a Type 6 bond, with a very long
length (I'm aware that a Type 6 bond is a simple harmonic restraint).

The first stage, running Editconf, Grompp and Mdrun (Energy
Minimisation) works fine. However, when I try and run Grompp a second
time in preparation for the dynamics run, I get the following message:

	Walking down the molecule graph to make shake-blocks
	There are 132 charge group borders and 1 shake borders
	There are 132 total borders
	Division over nodes in atoms:
     		187     188
	Fatal error: Shake block crossing node boundaries
	constraint between atoms (174,203)
	NNODES=2, MYRANK=0, HOSTNAME=og00.vcp.local
	NNODES=2, MYRANK=1, HOSTNAME=og00.vcp.local
	NODEID=0 argc=13
	NODEID=1 argc=13

(At this point I am using Grompp to set the run up for 2 CPUs).

Atoms 174 and 203, which are indeed on different nodes, are in fact in a
1,4 relationship with each other. Accordingly, I can't very well remove
the dihedral parameters or 1,4-pair interaction.

It is worth noting that neither atom 174 nor atom 203 is involved in any
of the repulsive bonding interactions that I have added manually
(described above).

I note that the following email has been sent before:

[gmx-users] How to circumvent shake-block errors ?

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Dec 14 09:17:03 CET 2001