[gmx-users] calculation of pKa values

Xavier Periole x.periole at chem.rug.nl
Tue Nov 23 09:53:42 CET 2004

Peter Trodler wrote:

> Dear gmx users,
>
> there are several tools to calculate pKa values of residues of a
> protein (TITRA,MCCE,MEAD,PDB2PQR,WHATIF). I am thinking which of this
> tools i should use to protonate the residues by pKa value, because the
> results are different, especially in the active site of proteins, and
> I don't want to protonate by standard pKa values. It is not easy to
> compare the results with experimental data, especially the protonation
> of ASP and GLU. Has somebody already compared this tools and can
> recommend me which tool I should use ?

All pKa prediction program has advantages and disadvantages as you probably
guess. I actually do not have any experience with the programs you
mention but
I have been using a program specially designed to consider the
"microenvironment"
of titratable groups to predict their pKa. It has been parametrized on
236 (or so)
proteins and has been shown to give results as accurate as PB and is
much much faster
(it takes about 20 minutes to predict pKas for the entiere protein). It
has also been
adapted for membrane proteins.

You can contact E.L. Mehler (elm2020 at med.cornell.edu) to get the code
and I can help
for any questions.

XAvier

   Xavier Periole - Ph.D.

   Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry / MD Group
   Univ. of Groningen
   Nijenborgh 4
   9747 AG Groningen
   The Netherlands