[gmx-users] positional restraint

Alok alokjain at iitk.ac.in
Fri Nov 26 19:08:27 CET 2004

hello Xavier,
                    thank you for your reply.I checked my ".tpr file"
using gmxdump.The number reported in the output for POSRES is not the
number of atoms restrained.Also I checked that the atoms restrained are
the ones from my residue.So i am now clear that the required atoms from
my residue are selected for restrain.
            I have a small query to make about the value of force
constant.I tried using 1000.I then checked the distances between the
constrained atoms after energy minimization and found considerable
change in the distances between the atoms.I then increased it to
1000000,the distance difference has reduced but still the distance
between some atoms has changed quite a bit.
                             I also tried to constrain my whole protein
and changed the force contant values from 1000 to 1000000 and cheked the
animation (using ngmx),I still  find considerable movement for my protein.
                               Though i have increased the force
constant value,I am not sure about the detrimental structural effect ( I
have read somewher that too large the force constant may result in
structural artifacts) it may have on my protein.So I would like to know
about the ideal value for the force constant such that the atoms are
constrained considerably and also that the protein does not experience
any unwanted structural deformation.

                                                                   Thank
you,

 Alok Jain