[gmx-users] question about number of atomic contacts beetween residues

Leonardo Sepulveda leonardosepulveda at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 16:13:42 CET 2004

Thanks a lot, Anton. I will try to change the g_mdmat code with a
friend. If it is acomplished i`ll send the code to you. Mi
"calculations" is the "fraction of contacts (Q) " very used in protein
folding. I have read that the standard way to do that is calculate the
Van der Walls radii of each atom plus 0.5 angstroms. If the radii
(defined in that way) of two atoms overlap, then a contact exist.
Nevertheless i read in the mindist program (Patricia Soto told me it
calculate contacts too) that the way to define the radii is giving a
cutoff (default 6 angtroms) for each atom. Does g_mdmat calculate
contacts acording to a predefined cutoff or it does acoording to the
force field van der walls radii of each atom?
The paper where i read that metod used CHARMM, so is easy because it
have all the atoms. How  can be done for a united atom FF like
GROMOS96?? i am confused about it.

Leonardo Sepúlveda

--
Leonardo A. Sepúlveda Durán