[gmx-users] positional restraint

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Nov 30 18:50:13 CET 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 22:48 +0530, Alok wrote:
> hello Xavier and David,
>                                       I am really sorry for the mistake
> i made with my previous mail.The residue in question is really ASN.And
> the OD1 atom is not protonated as i said in my previous mail.It was a
> blunder mistake on my part to say so.The  H-OD1 distance mentioned is
> actually the distance between OD1  and the backbone Hydrogen 'H' of ASN.
> And the distances mentioned is in Angstrom not in nanometer.

If it was O-OD1 distance in the crystal it must have been ASP instead of
ASN. Crystallographers cannot distinguish the two and sequence
information can be flaky at times too.

>                                      So coming back to my main question
> about positional restraint.As I have shown the data that even with very
> high force constant value (100000),there still is marked change in the
> distances between the atoms.And the atoms are not freezed as u have
> mentioned.Please shed some light into the whole issue.
>                    Sorry for the mistake :( with my previous mail.
>
>                      Thank you,
>
>                       Alok Jain
> Xavier Periole wrote:
>
> > David wrote:

> >> Is your OD1 protonated? It should...
> >>

> > It seems to me that this residue is a ASN, since it contains OD1 and
> > ND2. So I do not see why
> > the OD1 should be protonated. I must be missing something !
> > Although the distance is really small and should be a H-bond, which
> > explain certainly why David
> > suggested that the OD1 should be protonated. That is my guess.
> > Another solution is that the X-ray attributed the density of ND2 to
> > OD1 and vis versa, That happens
> > as the two atoms a not nesseraly easily discernable !

> > XAvier

David.
Husargatan 3, Box 596,          75124 Uppsala, Sweden
phone:  46 18 471 4205          fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se    spoel at gromacs.org   http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~spoel