[gmx-users] tpr without top-file

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Oct 1 13:46:19 CEST 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 12:07, Peter Zoon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's the story. We wrote a program which converts trajectories from
> Macromodel to xtc. We obtain a initial gro file and the trajectory in
> xtc format. We would like to use the gromacs analysis routines to
> analyze the trajectory. We a looking at a rotaxane in particular we want
> to study the hydrogen bonds between the macrocycle and the thread and
> the dihedrals within the thread.
the problem I presume it the topology. How about generating one using
prodrg? Many analysis tools can substitute the tpr file for a gro/pdb
file but g_hbond needs the atom names and the connectivity.
g_dih actually also needs the topology, although some things can be done
with just an index file (g_angle, which also analyses dihedrals)

> G_hbond needs a tpr file, but since we have no topology (and cannot
> create one easily) its a problem to get a tpr. Is there anyway around this?
> Could I for instance write a "fake" topology which only has the
> connectivities,  the atom-types and masses and somehow create a tpr file
> from only this information and than run the analysis?
>
> Any other suggestions would also be greatly appreciated.
>
> cheers
> Peter

David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755
spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se	spoel at gromacs.org   http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~spoel