[gmx-users] Hard lock up

Bill (William) Triest wtriest at chemistry.ohio-state.edu
Fri Oct 8 22:04:18 CEST 2004

> > Yes its an athlon box, but I double checked and we are attempting to run
> > 3.2.1  (sorry about not lisitng the .1, I wasn't aware of it at the
> > time)  The program runs fine on a single cpu athlon box w/ only a gig of
> > memory, but it crashes on a dual processor athlon mp box w/ 2 gigs of
> > memory.
> How about bios settings? Maybe you need a bios upgrade? Or the MP
> settings in your bios? Is your user running single or dual processor
> jobs?

I'll check for a bios upgrade.  What settings in the bios would you like
me to check (I know there's the smp version that I can alter, that's all
that I can think of off the top of my head that would be releveant to a
multiprocessor machines)

> > > Otherwise gromacs stresses the CPU really hard. Could it be heating
> > > problems? Do you have temperature sensors on the chips? Could be a
> > > broken fan or a rotten memory chip too...
> >
> > We did have a bad memory module last spring (it was still under warrenty
> > and got replaced) and the first thing I did when I heard the box started
> > hard hard-locking up again was run memtest86 on it.  As for over eating,
> > it runs fine EXCEPT when gromacs runs.  Since they run custom written
> > apps that take over a week to run and that I know stress the CPU, I'm
> > guessing its not that.  (Though I'm going to double check, just in case)

> There is a CPU stress test program on our website somewhere (can't find
> it now). It runs quite a few degrees warmer than the AMD testing
> program.

I found this an I am currently testing it.  Just for other people w/
simular problems, its under downloads and then contrib
http://www.gromacs.org/contributions/uploaded_contributions/stresscpu.tgz that's the current URL, but check http://www.gromacs.org/contributions/ in case a new version comes out.

Thanks again for all your help.

William Triest
Student Worker - Linux