[gmx-users] Interaction energy of charged particles with PME

Ran Friedman ran at hemi.tau.ac.il
Mon Oct 11 15:39:10 CEST 2004

I'm afraid I wasn't clear enough. What you describe is the usual thing
to do when one simulates a charged system. However, when you want to
calculate the long range Coulomb term between e.g. your protein and a
ligand, you have to recalculate the long range Coulomb term after
neutralising the charge of the protein (and repeat the same procedure
for the ligand) using mdrun -rerun in Gromacs. In that case, the system
in the example given below will carry a net charge of +5. My problem,
therefore, is how to calculate the interaction energies in those cases?