[gmx-users] Bulk waters placed inside protein core

Daan van Aalten vdava at davapc1.bioch.dundee.ac.uk
Fri Oct 15 12:07:13 CEST 2004

Hi Choon Peng

This looks OK to me - because what is the alternative - to leave a big
gaping hydrophilic hole in your apolar core?
Although you don;t mention it, it is possible that before placing
bulk water you have deleted the crystallographic waters (if your starting
structure is a crystal structure, that is) - this is considered bad
practice. There are many examples of "structural" waters in protein cores
that are important for proper packing - at the very least these (but in
general any water with a least 2 H-bonds to the protein, in my opinion)
should be left in place when you are adding bulk solvent.

Daan