[gmx-users] pKa calculations using gromacs

sameer varma varma1 at uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 9 21:44:10 CEST 2004

Although linear response theories using MD free energies have now been used
for quite a while to predict amino-acid pka's, it definitely is NOT a
completely reliable method. You can find some of the pros and cons of this
method discussed in a recently published journal article:

Simonson, T., J. Carlsson, D.A. Case. 2004. Proton binding to proteins:
pK(a) calculations with explicit and implicit solvent models. J Am Chem Soc
126(13):4167-80.

You would find that different force-fields produce different directions of
pKa shifts!
But is it really just a force-field related issue? I think not.

cheers - Sameer