[gmx-users] Re: pKa calculations using gromacs

Markus O Kaukonen mokaukon at cc.helsinki.fi
Fri Sep 10 13:39:07 CEST 2004

Thank's Shameer for the nice reference.

However, after reading the article two issues are still unclear to me

1) In
>Simonson, T., J. Carlsson, D.A. Case. 2004. Proton binding to proteins:
>pK(a) calculations with explicit and implicit solvent models. J Am Chem
>Soc 126(13):4167-80.
they do thermodynamic integration
from system A (protonated Asp) to system B (ionised Asp).
They use periodic boundary conditions and explicit water molecules to fill
the simulation box around protein (and within protein).
They add counter ions to neutralise the box in state A.
It is not said in the article if they add one more conter ion to state B.

Question:
Is this really possible?
In one system (say A) they have
total charge of 0 in the system (after adding counter ions)
, but in B they have either total charge -1
(or they have added one more Na+ in the system which is not said in the text).
Does not one run into troubles with electrostatistics when the simulation
cell is not neutral (authors have used Charmm and Amber).

On the other hand, if one would add one more counter ion to state B
(to make its charge 0) this would add up uncorrect energy terms to state
B.

Well, lets stop here for the moment .

Terveisin Markus

--