[gmx-users] error message

Xavier Periole x.periole at chem.rug.nl
Mon Sep 20 15:52:11 CEST 2004

Maria Sabaye Moghaddam wrote:

>Hi;
>
> I am getting an error message as follows:
>
>WARNING 1 [file "1s9z.top", line 39]:
>  System has non-zero total charge: 3.000000e+00
>
>processing coordinates...
>double-checking input for internal consistency...
>ERROR: One of the box vectors is shorter than twice the cut-off length.
>Increase the box size or decrease rcoulomb.
>Velocities were taken from a Maxwell distribution at 300 K
>There was 1 warning
>Fatal error: There was 1 error

That is a classical. The error you have is that you use a cutoff on
interactions
(elec or vdW) that is smaller that half of the box size, which means that a
molecule would see more than one time the same particules: one in the
central
box and the other in the image box. You do not want that !!!

Solution: increase your box size or decease your cutoff. The first is
probably
the best solution.

XAvier

   Xavier Periole - Ph.D.

   Dept. of Biophysical Chemistry / MD Group
   Univ. of Groningen
   Nijenborgh 4
   9747 AG Groningen
   The Netherlands