[gmx-users] substrate explodes

YOLANDA SMALL yas102 at psu.edu
Tue Sep 21 18:28:48 CEST 2004

Hello gmx-users,

I did an energy minimization on a protein system for which I constructed a
topology file for the unique substrate and cofactor at the active site.  I used
the freezegrp option to freeze the substrate and cofactor in all directions (my
.mdp file is below).  The energy minization does not converge but delivers this
message:

Stepsize too small (7.49853e-07 nm)Converged to machine precision,
but not to the requested precision (1000)

Steepest Descents did not converge in 75 steps
  Potential Energy  =  3.08892e+08
Maximum force:  1.99058e+06

Upon inspection of the output structure, the substrate and cofactor are the only
things that have exploded even though I thought that freezing them keeps them
fixed.  Does anyone know what could be causing this problem?

mdp filecpp                 =  /lib/cpp
define              =  -DFLEX_SPC
; constraints         =  all-bonds
integrator          =  steep