[gmx-users] Energy min ion problems

Ken Rotondi ksr at chemistry.umass.edu
Fri Apr 8 20:10:39 CEST 2005

Hello all,

I'm having a weird and frustrating problem using the l-bfgs minimizer
with a system containing ions. My system is a protein in a 7.5nm
dodecahedral box, ~30,000 atoms. It has a total charge of -4, so I used
genion to add 4 Na+ ions to the system. The resulting system could not
be E-minimized. Several attempts lead to the "converged to machine
precision in -1 step", yes, it didn't do a thing. I converted to a .pdb
and  saw that the added ions were in close proximity to, but not
overlapping with any of the protein atoms. A subsequent attempt to run
E-m on this system started, but ran only 68 steps prior to converging
to machine precision. Final output:

Pot. E.  		-3.12X10**23
Fmax   		1.42X10**26		HUGE!
norm of force	8.59X10**23		ibid

I went back and ran the minimization on the system to which the
counter-ions had been added. Same system, just 4 extra HOH's and 4
fewer Na+'s. It converged to machine precision in 11833 steps:

Pot. E.		-3.23X10**-6
Fmax		717				wanted < 10, but okay
norm of force	38

Has anyone seen similar behavior due to addition of ions? What could
cause such behavior?  Does anyone have a suggestion as for how to
proceed? I could just add the ions to the E-mized system and see how
the resultant system minimizes (which I will, in fact, proceed with
now), but I think this is a fundamental question worthy of discussion.

I've attached my .mdp file, though I doubt that it's the source of the
error since it functions fine on the non-ionized (grin) system.

Any help/input would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ken

title                    = Chicken
cpp                      = /lib/cpp
define                   = -DFLEXIBLE
constraints              = none
integrator               = l-bfgs
nsteps                   = 10000000
emtol                    = 10           ; max force < (kJ/mol nm)
emstep                   = 0.01         ; initial step size (nm)
nbfgscorr                = 10
rlist                    = 1
nstlist                  = 10
ns_type                  = grid