[gmx-users] gmx v3.1 vs v3.2

Derrick Guang Yuh Lee k24dgyl at mun.ca
Sat Apr 30 00:15:08 CEST 2005

Dear David and anyone else,

It is a problem with the acutal input files; that is, the mdp, gro, and
top files. For example, when I did some simulations on v3.1.4 using Dr.
Tieleman's POPC bilayer, it worked fine, but w/ those same input files
on v3.2, I either got segmentation faults or "Warning 1-4 interaction...".
It seems like it should be a problem w/ the mdp parameters, so I checked
the gmx-user archive and used an example mdp file:

http://www.gromacs.org/pipermail/gmx-users/2003-February/004363.html

but I got the same results. v3.2 gave me "Warning 1-4 interaction..."
and just stalls there, but with v3.1.4, it does produce something. Also,
when I switch the parameter value for coulombtype to Cut-off instead of
PME, in both my original files and the example mdp file, it does produce
the appropriate output files. So I guess that causes another question to
arise, which is more appropriate PME or Cut-off for lipid simulations?
Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

 - Derrick Lee

 Derrick Guang Yuh Lee
 Department of Mathematics and Statistics / Department of Biochemistry
 Memorial University of Newfoundland
 k24dgyl at mun.ca / derrickglee at hotmail.com

"a teacher is never a giver of truth - he is a guide, a pointer to the
truth that each student must find for himself. a good teacher is merely a
catalyst."
                                                              - bruce lee