[gmx-users] RE: Insertion of protein in lipid bilayer

rob yang nextgame at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 4 20:38:10 CEST 2005

Thank you Dr. G, Smith. I fixed the problem in lipids jumping around, and
was able to obtain 1 ns of md (make_hole version) for the membrane with the
hole alone. The membrane seemed to be stable as the bilayer stayed where
they were supposed to this time and boy did I ever enjoy the trajectory
movie. However, upon further inspection, the hole had "sealed up" at the end
of the simulation.  The hole I created using the make_hole.pl before running
the md had been filled by surrounding lipids. This led me to think that
maybe the exclusion forces of the protein surface are not correct (could be
due to user error on my part when using MSMS?). I examined the
insidesurf.pdb and molsurfpdb.pdb using vmd and couldn't figure out what I
should be looking for.

So my questions are:
1) How can I use the information of insidsurf.pdb and molsurfpdb.pdb (maybe
perhaps gsurf.log) to convince myself that the calculated forces are indeed
"reasonable".  In the tutorial it says that the forces of the insidesurf.pdb
should be pointing outward at the right residues, but I couldn't see any
directions.  I.e, what would be a sanity test here?
2) Any other reasons why the hole grew back together?

thanks alot