[gmx-users] Solvent-accessible volume and other quantities for comparison with experiment

Steven Kirk Steven.Kirk at htu.se
Tue Aug 9 19:59:37 CEST 2005

Hello,

Is there a way within the GROMACS suite of programs to evaluate the
solvent-accessible area (and volume, and hence the particle density) of
a large (3-5 nm) silica particle, which I am currently simulating in
aequous solution using OPLS/AA parameters and TIP4P water ? Being able
to extract the total charge on such a particle would also be useful. The
closest tool I can find is g_density, but I don't think that does quite
what I am looking for.

In addition, I am looking for quantities which are both obtainable from
GROMACS simulations (using the standard suite of GROMACS analysis tools
or other freely available software) and from the range of existing
experimental techniques used on to examine such systems. Total charge on
the particle and total dipole moment would also be useful. I am aware
that in experimental work such techniques as small-angle neutron
scattering can be used to look at the structure of such particles, but I
would like to establish a list of properties that are both
experimentally and computationally available.

I have searched through the list archive already and found some
interesting discussions of pH, but it seems that detailed considerations
of pH is not easy in GROMACS. I have seen a few papers in the literature
  that use a Monte-Carlo approach to playing with protonation states on
solvated proteins to mimic a constant pH, but it seems that there is no
consensus yet on the best way to computationally evaluate such quantities.

I would appreciate any advice and recommendations for software (advice
from other researchers investigating such colloidal systems would be
especially welcome).

Many thanks in advance,
Steve Kirk

--