[gmx-users] Segmentation fault in genion for monolayer-protein system

Farid Sa'adedin fsaadedi at staffmail.ed.ac.uk
Tue Aug 23 19:53:56 CEST 2005

Dear Jon

Something is missing from the pdb as your charges are not do not seem
to add up
correctly.  For GROMACS to work the initial charge should be a whole
number. Double check the pdb to see if anything is missing.  If not
just add charges to
your pdb to make it into a whole number.  Then you can use genion to balance
your system.

Farid

Quoting Jon <jon.ellis at utoronto.ca>:

> I am trying to do an energy minimization run of a 148-residue protein
> attached to a monolayer of 289 short alkyl chains. The protein is
> attached to the membrane by an amide bond from a lysine to one of the
> alkys near the centre of the layer (which is ~9.1x9.1 nm^2). I
> minimized the monolayer in vacuum, then attached the protein by
> editing the .gro and .top files.
>
> When I run grompp it, it tells me the charge is -2.449600e+01. When I
> run this in vacuum, it does not minimize properly (I get inf for the
> forces after only a few steps. I tried adding spc water and ions, but
> when I run genion, adding 24 NA+, it gives me a segmentation fault
> immeditely. This reoccurs upon re-grompp-ing, rereunning, and
> rebooting.
>
> Two questions:
> 1) How many NA+ ions should I add, 24 or 25, for PME to work properly
> (requires charge =~0)
>
> 2) Has anybody ever seen a segmentation fault in genion, or have any
> idea what its all about?
>
> Any other suggestions or comments would be welcome.
>

> Here's my em.mdp
> title		    =  Energy Minimization of protein on surface
> cpp                 =  cpp
> constraints         =  none  ; no bond constraints in EM
> define              =  -DFLEX_SPC
> integrator          =  steep ; steepest descent min to remove bad vdw
> dt                  =  0.002 ; ps
> nsteps              =  50000   ; no. of steps
> nstlist             =  10
> nstenergy           =  2
> ns_type             =  grid
> rlist               =  0.9   ; cut-off distance for list
> coulombtype         =  PME
> rcoulomb            =  0.9   ; cutoff for colomb
> rvdw                =  1.0   ; cutoff for vdw interactions
> fourierspacing      =  0.12
> fourier_nx          =  0
> fourier_ny          =  0
> fourier_nz          =  0
> pme_order           =  7
> ewald_rtol          =  1e-5
> optimize_fft        =  yes
> gen_vel             =  no
> Tcoupl              =  no
> Pcoupl              =  no
> ;	Energy minimizing stuff
> emtol               =  1000
> emstep              =  0.0001

Farid Sa'adedin
Membrane Biophysics Laboratory
Department of Veterinary Biomedical Sciences
College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine
Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies
University of Edinburgh
Summerhall
Edinburgh EH9 1QH
SCOTLAND