[gmx-users]future hardware

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Thu Dec 1 13:46:27 CET 2005

Hi,

Fujitsu have already created a Gromacs-based MD server ("bioserver")
with embedded low-power CPUs which I think is better for that type of
application.

We've been interested in Cell for a while, but there's a lot of
marketing hype around it. First, it's not 9 separate processors but 1
main processor and 8 somewhat independent vector units. The vector
units can't access memory directly though, but need to be fed with
programmed DMA from the head CPU. There is also no dynamic
instruction scheduling.

 From a Gromacs perspective I think the Xenon 3-way standard SMP
PowerPC CPU (but still no dynamic instruction scheduling) in the
Xbox360 is more interesting, especially since it seems to use
standard Altivec instructions that we've already implemented.
Unfortunately we can't test that until somebody has cracked the
Xbox360 and put Linux or something on it :-)

Cheers,

Erik