[gmx-users] Re: gmx-users Digest, Vol 20, Issue 9

Dongsheng Zhang dong at pampas.chem.purdue.edu
Thu Dec 1 23:43:06 CET 2005

Dear David,

I have tried it. The difference in potential energy is very large.

The commands I used are:
mdrun -s full2.tpr -rerun full2.trr -e full2 -o full2 -x full2 -g full2
g_energy -f full2.edr -o energy2  (choose 5-10 )

mdrun -s full3.tpr -rerun full2.trr -e full3 -o full3 -x full3 -g full3
g_energy -f full3.edr -o energy3  (choose 5-10)

part of full2.mdp is:

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
nstlist                  = 5            ; nblist update frequency
ns_type                  = grid         ; ns algorithm (simple or grid)
pbc                      = xyz
rlist                    = 1.1          ; nblist cut-off

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
; Method for doing electrostatics: Cut-off,
coulombtype              = Switch
fourierspacing           = 0.1
pme_order                = 3
rcoulomb                 = 1.0
rcoulomb_switch          = 0.9
; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off or DC of reaction field
epsilon-r                = 1.0

; Method for doing Van der Waals
vdw-type                 = Switch
; cut-off lengths
rvdw                     = 1.0
rvdw_switch              = 0.9

; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure
DispCorr                 = no; EnerPres

; OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS
; Temperature coupling
Tcoupl                   = nose-hoover ;berendsen
; Groups to couple separately
tc-grps                  = protein SOL
; Time constant (ps) and reference temperature (K)
tau_t                    = 0.1   0.1
ref_t                    = 300   300
; Pressure coupling
Pcoupl                   = Parrinello-Rahman ;berendsen
Pcoupltype               = isotropic
; Time constant (ps), compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar)
tau_p                    = 1.5
compressibility          = 4.5e-5
ref_p                    = 1.0

part of full3.mdp is:

; NEIGHBORSEARCHING PARAMETERS
nstlist                  = 5            ; nblist update frequency
ns_type                  = grid         ; ns algorithm (simple or grid)
pbc                      = xyz
rlist                    = 1.0          ; nblist cut-off

; OPTIONS FOR ELECTROSTATICS AND VDW
; Method for doing electrostatics: Cut-off,
coulombtype              = Cut-off
fourierspacing           = 0.1
pme_order                = 3
rcoulomb                 = 1.0
rcoulomb_switch          = 0.9
; Dielectric constant (DC) for cut-off or DC of reaction field
epsilon-r                = 1.0

; Method for doing Van der Waals
vdw-type                 = cut-off
; cut-off lengths
rvdw                     = 1.0
rvdw_switch              = 0.9

; Apply long range dispersion corrections for Energy and Pressure
DispCorr                 = no; EnerPres

; OPTIONS FOR WEAK COUPLING ALGORITHMS
; Temperature coupling
Tcoupl                   = nose-hoover ;berendsen
; Groups to couple separately
tc-grps                  = protein SOL
; Time constant (ps) and reference temperature (K)
tau_t                    = 0.1   0.1
ref_t                    = 300   300
; Pressure coupling
Pcoupl                   = Parrinello-Rahman ;berendsen
Pcoupltype               = isotropic
; Time constant (ps), compressibility (1/bar) and reference P (bar)
tau_p                    = 1.5
compressibility          = 4.5e-5
ref_p                    = 1.0

I am using Gromacs 3.2.1 and amber94 FF. The water model is
ffamber_tip3p.itp

Could you please give me a clue where the difference in potential energy is from?

Thanks!