[gmx-users] How to set the charge of zn and cys!

Maik Goette mgoette at mpi-bpc.mpg.de
Thu Dec 15 16:10:17 CET 2005

Hi
 > 1. How to set cys deprotonated in Gromacs?

Depends on the forcefield and its entries.
If there is no deprotonated CYS, you can define a new residue without
proton (RTP,HDB-file).

 > 2. Is charge -0.75 for S in Cys and +1 for zn OK to start with or
 > should i try something else? In that case how to set the charge on the
 > CH2 side group.

Those transition metals are always pain...Maybe, the values aren't that
bad, because intuitivly, they should keep the zinc fixed in its
position. It's definitly worth a try...btw. which of the multiple Ryde
papers are you talking about? Personally, I didn't find the values, yet.
IMHO you shouldn't change antything else than the S-charge on the AA.

 > 3. One could expect that the charge distribution change in cys due to
 > 1-4 cys coordinated to zinc? If this is the case, how to simulate
this > or should this effect be ignored.

Hmm...I think, this is as task for the quantum-calculators...in
classical MD you may ignore that...
Maybe, you could try the new QM/MM-Implemention to simulate one zinc-site.

Regards

Maik Goette, Dipl. Biol.
Theoretical & computational biophysics department
Am Fassberg 11
37077 Goettingen
Germany
Tel.  : ++49 551 201 2310