[gmx-users] problem calculating PMF with distant constraints

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 16 17:18:12 CET 2005

>From: rzangi at att.net
>To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>
>Subject: Re: [gmx-users] problem calculating PMF with distant constraints
>Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 15:25:52 +0000

>atoms

>are
>this

>in

>SPC,

>be

>This correction term (2kT/r) comes to be exactly the same as the thermal
>average of the correction to the froces due the centripetal force [JCP 100
>9129(1994)]. We already did this correction but still it didn't give the
>PMF of the reference system. At short distances the corrections was better
>than at larger distances (as one would expect from better rotational
>sampling at shoter constraint length) but still it was very different (for
>example the difference between the first minimum and the first maximum). At
>large distances it actually made the PMF worse. At each lambda point (51 in
>total) we ran for 6ns simulations and at some points for even longer. The
>value of <dgdl> seems to converage (as indicated by block analysis -
>g_analyze).

You could indeed also call this term a centripetal correction.

I get perfect PMF's between two ions in water up to 1.2 nm, for distances
between 1 and 1.2 nm I used 8 ns.
Colleagues of mine used 10 ns for similarly long distances between
hydrophobic
molecules in water.
So your 6 ns should be enough.

But the results are very sensitive to the simulation setup.
You will for instance see differences between RF with a 1.4 nm cut-off and
PME.

Berk.